Signs of Life

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

the black garbage bag!

When I was a child my mother would tell me to clean my room. And I would…for probably 5 minutes…then play for another 30! So, she’d come in later and “throw away” everything I left on the floor. I can not begin to express the total and complete devastation I felt when she did this. I remember begging, “please let me keep that!!!”

Funny how what comes around…or goes around…or, well, just how we repeat our parents’ actions so many times…even when we swore that we would never do that.

After a while of cleaning house and not much progress from those under 4 and a half feet tall, I entered the bedroom with a garbage bag and dust pan and began shoveling! Now I wonder if it was more traumatic for the parent or the child. I hand no intention on throwing away any toys. At worst I would give them away. But there is something rather permanent about a black garbage bag and a dustpan!

Unbeknownst to me, Robin was standing in her bed watching as “Elastigirl” went into the bag….she LOST it ! Then there goes the baseball glove….into the bag…and Nicholas LOST it! “Now I can’t play catch with my daddy!!!”

I know I sound like a horrible mother. And I felt horrible….sort of. See, I knew I was not going to throw it all away. I had every intention on returning the items to them...but not all at once, maybe on a reward basis. As I wrap up the garbage bag, Nicholas makes out through his weeping and gasping for air…”I am beginning to not like you very much”.

*s*i*g*h *

We had a long heart to heart before bed and I think I made amends. I outlined the process for earning toys back and I think all is well. When I tucked him in and he snuggled up with his nite-nite he said “It’s a good thing this was not on the floor!”

(I’ll give “Elastigirl” back to Robin in the morning…she could not comprehend the “throw away” illustration)


[previously]

At dinner he explained how babies grow:

“There is this little bitty seed and it grows in the mommy’s tummy. And it turns in to a baby. When the baby gets big enough it pops out o f the mommy’s tummy. That’s what Luke said.”

Me: “Oh yea? “

“Yea. But he’s wrong. The baby doesn’t just pop out. It has to slide or crawl out”

Luckily out of where did not come up…nor did fertilization!!! Wheew. Just skirted around that one this time!!!

On the way home we were beside a Subaru at a light and a younger version of Sable sat in the back seat as any human passenger would. Not out the window, not jumping around…Just calmly checkin’ things out. She’d been in a car before! We had a great conversation with the lady in the car. Sure made us all miss our doggie!!!

Procrastinated enough…off to do homework!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home