Signs of Life

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Softball knee

I have heard of tennis elbow...well today I learned about "Softball Knee". Rob was playing in a softball game this afternoon (game 2 of a day-long tournament). He came home after game one and took Nicholas back with him for game 2 at 3pm. So when Robin woke up from her nap, we went to the ball field. We decided to stay a while and watch. However, nature calls for Robin so we step away for a while.

When we returned, I saw a couple of guys helping someone off the field. And I thought, "aww.... poor guy". Then..."hm...he has the same color shirt as Rob". As I watched him look around into the crowd I realized it was Rob. I casually walk over thinking it is not THAT bad. Then I hear my husband say "Guys, I am out for the game for sure...probably the season"...and I KNOW he is pretty hurt.

We drove in 2 cars so we thought that he could drive one (his left leg was hurt) and I could drive the other. But when he could not bend his leg, plans changed. Luckily, 2 of his friends helped out, and when we got to the house, they helped him into the house and in a chair (in which he stayed from 5:30pm-11 pm).

How is it you say...well, he reports no pain as long as it remains straight. He can put a little pressure on it but needs to hold the wall or a person to walk. He can not move it at all (from the knee down). Robin reports that his knee "looks like there is a ball in there". This is not too good for comparison, but you can kinda see how swollen it is. If you look you can see an egg-shaped circle where his knee cap is...hopefully IS, not was.

We are guessing it is a torn patella tendon. He is taking Ibuprofen every 4 hours and it was iced from 5-11 (when he finally laid in bed). If the swelling does not go down by tomorrow at lunch, we will be looking for an urgent care center. We'd like to avoid another ER visit after his $900 puncture-to-the-hand on Christmas day (that was $300 for each stitch!).

Nicholas is struggling with seeing daddy what appears to be completely helpless. He is proud to offer a shoulder when Rob needs to get to the bathroom. He eagerly brings Rob drinks and puts movies in the DVD player. He is a FABULOUS nurse! He got a folding chair to sit RIGHT BESIDE daddy "in case daddy needs me".


If I think about it...I will post a follow up or two!

<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home