Signs of Life

Sunday, February 03, 2008

a toxic waiting room!

Today' s knee...still very swollen, warm to the touch

We ventured off to the Urgent Care Center this afternoon. It opened at 1pm and we got there at 1:20...hoping to beat the rush. Only to find a check in line to the door.

When I got the counter to check Rob in, I was told there is now a 2-2.5 hour wait. When I finished the paperwork and returned it, they were announcing a 3 hour wait for incoming patients!

I took off right then for the Dollar General and Starbucks. I returned with some a word find, Sudoku, a Snickers bar, M & Ms, puzzle books, pencils and a mocha frappuccino! (The children were with some WONDERFUL friends who graciously took them home).

After a 1.5 hour wait - I found out that there had been 6 confirmed cases of the Flu and looking at the waiting room victims....I was 100% sure that more of the same diagnosis was awaiting. The nurse informed me that there was a couple of chairs by the clock-in machine and we are welcome to wait there. We hurried off!

About 45 minutes later I hear the receptionist say to someone on the phone. "We are closing early today. We have a full waiting room and are at a 3 hour wait. ALL patients today have tested positive for the Flu."

At about 4:15 we were called in to the exam room. The nurse chatted a bit, took vitals and left. We asked her for the Flu vaccine and she said "Unfortunately it will do you no good. This is a different strand." THAT was comforting.

About 15 minutes later the doctor came in. He jiggled Rob's leg a bit and asked a couple of questions. Diagnosis: 1. Knee sprain/strain, 2. see orthopedist in the morning 3. wear a knee immobilizer.

So, we are home. We will see what tomorrow holds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home