Signs of Life

Sunday, November 20, 2005

the gateway to the west

So, just got home form a long trip to and back from St Louis. You figure that a trip you begin at 3am will be rather long…and it was. The conference I attended was educational but rather uneventful. I know it will help me with my Thesis research and I made some wonderful connections. But it wasn’t the most experiential of conferences I have attended.

Got to see a pretty cool presentation on robotics. The Keynote speaker had some really fascinating video…somewhat scary what these robots can do…One that he highlighted was the Wakamaru. Pretty fascinating creation. He said he walked into this room of 40 Wakamaru and they all tracked him all over the room.

Saw the arch on 3 occasions….driving into the city, in the dark JUST after it closed, and then again leaving the city!!

Went to Budweiser for a tour. The Clydesdales were gorgeous and huge. Their stable was nicer than any house I could want. They were true stables though with a cat running around and a Dalmatian sleeping in the hay next to the horses! All of their leather regalia was hanging in a glass protected “closet” for all to view. (I was the photographer….maybe I can get some images form my traveling buddies……). The rest was large brick buildings and lots of hops (which I didn’t know looked like small, green pinecones). We ended at the “hospitality house” where guests we treated to 2 glasses of day old Budweiser.

We went out to dinner Friday night in the city at The Drunken Fish. It was very good!!! I ate real sushi for the first time (no California rolls here). It’s not very lady like however. After a lesson on Sushi form the waitress, I learned that you are supposed to eat the WHOLE thing in one big bite! Hmmm…..not too attractive! But I did use chop sticks if that accounts for anything!

The drive was unique to me as we were accompanied by Microsoft Mary. Tim has a Microsoft GPS system in his laptop so we cruised all over with the lap top and many other high tech devices. (Mary talks to you and gives directions). On the way home I worked on my presentation on Chris’ lap top and helped the guys study for their written comps (this Tuesday). Thankfully I don’t have to take them!!!

I’ll be pretty happy if I don’t eat at McDonalds again for a very long time!!!

So I am home now and missed my family terribly!!! The children seem to have gotten bigger in just one week! Rob survived well, as I knew he would. He’s a wonderful daddy. His coworkers couldn’t believe he didn’t call in reinforcements. (not sure who that would have been).

Just a few weeks ago I launched a new web page for ASU’s Building Science program. I’ve got lots of design under my belt…just got to get it into a portfolio format!!! EEEKK!

The Massey’s are coming for Christmas this year. It is definitely nice to be home for Christmas. I look forward to the time off of school. I hope to plow on with my Thesis however, and spend some time job searching.

Greg's musical opened Friday (The Woman in White). I saw on the news ahat it is getting GREAT reviews. Congratulations Greg....I am SO proud of you!!!

OH….that reminds me. I was offered a job this weekend as a Dean of Technology at Walters State Community College. I thought the man was joking…but apparently he was not. I can’t say I am ready for a DEAN position!!!! Holy cow. What an ego booster. Once more…the world is my oyster!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home