Signs of Life

Thursday, October 20, 2005

To paint or not to paint...

The Appalachian On Line has reported a story about ASU’s Rugby team games being suspended because of graffiti problems (read about it for specifics). Interesting story following my children’s graffiti experience. See, I revisited Nicholas and Robin’s artwork in the tunnel and was saddened by some new paint. I can’t remember the exact wording but right beside Nicholas’ handprint was “Tell you kids that this s%#@ kills”. I’m not real sure what this means…but I know it wasn’t there BEFORE and it involves children and cuss words…why?

Also, if you look closely on the wall by Nicholas in one of the pictures posted before, I had to paint over some foul language so that my pictures of the children didn’t have bad words! Hmmm.

In regards to graffiti, the university offers this statement…

“Also, please be advised that various people utilize the tunnels to cross under Rivers Street. This includes students, faculty, visitors, children and numerous others. Please attempt to keep your comments and artwork appropriate for all users of the tunnels. Also, if you find materials particularly objectionable or what you consider a violation of university policy, you can contact Ms. Susie Greene, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Development and Dean of Students at 262-2060. While this will not necessarily result in a university response, it will help keep of informed when problems arise.”

Source: ASU CSIL

(The part about nothing being done about it is particularly encouraging.)

My opinion…out with graffiti. It was fun to let my children play…but I’d as soon stick to the “write only on paper” rule if will be less controversial.

On a lighter note. Rob and I are off to our first parent-teacher conference! I doubt that 20 minutes is long enough!!! I’ll definitely report on that…in the meantime, here’s one of the kaki boys taken this afternoon!

Nicholas and Daddy chillin’ on the couch on a early release school day…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home