Signs of Life

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

how do you let go?

I have given away most of the children’s clothes and baby bottles, sold the smaller car seats, the walker, and bouncy seat. Nicholas sleeps in a double bed and Robin in a day-bed. Every transition made easily and naturally, with no hesitation…until today.

A friend is having a baby and I offered my child carriers….both of them. Robin can still fit in the backpack, but she’s to independent. So as I walked from my apartment to the Technology building carrying my items to a friend, I stopped a few to contemplate my decision, and I turned around a few more times to go back home.

This all took me by enormous surprise as I had not been emotional about anything child related in the past. Not their births, not their steps, teeth, potty training….(not that I shouldn’t have been…I’m just not used to having these emotions). So when I spent most of the day fighting the tears (even now) I feel like I should acknowledge my feelings as real, and more so natural!

I think this was a more substantial transition for me because I was very attached to the freedom that these products gave me in motherhood. From long wilderness walks, strolls to the mailbox, easier shopping, participation in fundraising events, and even lawn mowing…these wonderful inventions allowed me a certain freedom and encouraged fitness. In a weird way I feel like I have lost both while in school.

So in tribute to my children’s infant and toddler years and all of the adventure they shared with me, here are a few memories…(this is more for me than for you…sorry!)

Walkin around campus wiht Robin, August 2004

Weekend day hike with Nichlas and Robin, Fall 2003

Aquarium in Southport, NC summer 2003 (with Robin)

A wise woman (and mother of 2) has recently replied with the following advice:
Hang onto them…. It’s important to have some reminders, and this clearly meant something more to you than the other stuff you have already given away.

1 Comments:

  • I still have Robin's little pink mittens in my pocket book and a picture of Nicholas in my wallet - just as precious reminders of how dear the babies are and how fast they grow up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home