Signs of Life

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Hickory nuts and Tee Pees

What a nice weekend. We had beautiful weather in the mountains of SC! We had mellow Thanksgiving with a seating of 5! (ya know it was actually even…5 people and 5 dogs). I regret to inform you that the consensus was to go without mashed potatoes this year. With rice and macaroni & cheese….no use for ANOTHER starch. And besides mashed potatoes are only useful in creating a bowl from which you spoon the gravy!

I spent Black Friday (which happened to be my 33rd birthday) in the woods…FAR from any place to give money to another in exchange for goods. Actually that’s not true. That evening Rob took me out to dinner and a movie and with an hour between we went to K-Mart. Needless to say it was rather empty. (Mom says no one shops at K-Mart). Upon approaching the register with stuff Santa had us pick up for him…I realized that we would need to hide the items until we got home. I had a MARVELOUS idea. What if the stores put the merchandise in black (non-transparent) bags. I am a novice and genius…or so I thought. As she rang up the toys and without hesitation she placed them in large BLACK bags and they disappeared! I don’t know who WASN’T shopping at K-Mart…but I do know that Wal-Mart has those little bitty clear bags ALL THE TIME!!

So here’s a log of events...

Robin with Momma El's dolly and baby doll quilt that Granny Dee made for her when she was little...

We cracked Hickory nuts (they taste like banana bread to me)…

We had Sable with us….

We added onto Nicholas Tee Pee…

Robin borrowed Momma El’s shirt for a Nightee…

(She really WAS happy about the shirt...just not me)

Once at home Robin collected her books and went to school (like Mommy and Nicholas)…

We met Pastor Nathan and Erin at CiCi’s for dinner (imagine that) and we handed off Sable. It is becoming a routine that we find unusual animals in the CiCi’s parking lot. This evening Nicholas and Daddy holler….”Mommy…come here!!!…come here!!” I look over and they are scurrying back and forth along the curb. Turns out they found a bole in the parking lot. We borrowed a to-go cup from CiCi’s and took the little creature home to release in the wooded are near our apartment. Bet he’d like that MUCH better than the New Market Center!!! (the lady at CiCi’s was so excited that we were going to save the little critter. She said she’d be happy to give us a cup and she would have done the same thing). Rob picked it up and carried it a bit until we got the cup. Everyone pet or held it at some point. Robin let out the cutest little squeal when Rob put it in her hands!

One more thing….
We went to the movies (like I said) and I WISH I had a camera. The light board that has the movie title and show times has a small space to indicate “NO PASSES”. When appropriate, they place this next to the title. Well, apparently the sign shifted a bit and the note for those attending Harry Potter that evening was that there were to be “NO ASSES”.

1 Comments:

  • The little chair that Robin is sitting in was mine when I was Robin's age. It is great to see the picture with the integrated generations...the dolly was made by Granny Dee for Walker. Thank you for the precious photo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home